01223 446 920

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday 9am - 2pm
Closed Weekends & Bank Holidays

Medical Travel Insurance cover

all types of medical conditions

Frequently Asked Questions


Yes. If you catch Coronavirus or require medical treatment whilst away, then cover will be in place for emergency and necessary treatment, so long as you have not travelled against FCDO advice.

Customers should be aware that our policies are travel insurance policies and not private medical insurance meaning that there is no cover for any medical expenses incurred in private medical facilities if we have confirmed that medically capable public facilities are available.

Our policies will provide cover for repatriation (bringing you home) that is medically necessary. Our Assistance Team will liaise with your treating doctor(s) about your treatment plan and if required obtain a ‘fit to fly’ certificate. We also liaise with you and advise on, and put in place, suitable repatriation plans to get you home as soon as it is medically safe to do so in order to achieve your optimal recovery.

There is no cover under this policy for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises you not to travel, for example where the FCDO advise against all but essential travel to an area affected by Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2) or any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2

If the FCDO has advised against all, or all but essential travel, you should contact your travel provider. In this situation they have an obligation to provide you with a full refund or alternative holiday. If you are not due to travel for a few months your tour operator may choose to wait to see if anything changes before offering you a refund or alternative arrangements.

For PREMIER PLUS policies quoted and purchased from the 20th August 2020 – These policies now automatically include cover for cancellation if you or anyone named on your insurance policy tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of your trip starting. Other benefits are available here.

None of our policies will provide cover for travel to a country or destination where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office are advising against all or all but essential travel. If you have an essential reason to travel please contact us in the first instance to discuss your requirements.

All travellers should check the latest FCDO travel advice for their chosen destination at gov.uk prior to purchasing insurance or travelling. There will be no cover under this policy if you travel to a country or area where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) or government are advising against all or all but essential travel. There is no cancellation cover if you are unable to travel due to the FCDO or government advising against all or all but essential travel.

I am abroad and my amended flight home is after my policy end date?

If your flight has been amended by your flight company due to the recent events, you must take the first available flight home and the policy will automatically extend to cover you until your return. If you choose not to take the first available flight home, there will be no extension to cover.

I am abroad and I don’t want to come back to the UK?

Unfortunately, if your policy is due to expire and you are choosing to remain overseas, then we are unable to extend cover for you. You must return on the next available flight.

Change of dates for re-arranged trips:

If your travel arrangements have been suspended or changed to an alternative date, please contact us. We can look to change the dates of your insurance as long as you are travelling within 12 months of the original inception date of your policy.

Cancellation of Package Holiday Arrangements:

If you booked via a travel agent or tour operator or has booked more than one thing, that must include; Flight, Accommodation, Transfer then the trip is considered as packaged and the below applies.

Trips cancelled due to FCDO advice would therefore fall within the remit of Package Travel Regulations and be eligible for a refund from your travel organiser.

Trips where access is restricted or public life is subject to significant limitations (closures of tourist attraction etc..) should give passengers the right to cancel their trip with refund via Package Travel Regulations.

If passengers have a medical condition for which exposure to the COVID-19 is particularly dangerous, current advice is they should have the right to cancel their package travel contract if the risk of contamination with COVID-19 at the travel destination or its immediate vicinity is declared high by the competent authorities.


Cancellation of Flights and Air Passenger Rights:

Flight companies are regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority. If your flight operator cancels or can’t fulfil your flight then there is protection available under something called the ‘Montreal Convention’. Some airlines are going over and above their requirements and so it is important to contact them in the first instance to find out what support they can give you.

Flight cancellations by the airline need to be claimed directly from them.

All around the world, passenger rights for international flights are protected under the Montreal Convention. Essentially, this piece of law states that the airline is responsible for you if your flight is cancelled and/or you are left stranded at an airport waiting for a flight. These measures of care include: Meals and refreshments, Communication to the outside world (two occasions), Hotel accommodations when necessary, Rerouting to your final destination.

Like any piece of law, it can be complicated and not that easy to read! But if you google CAA and Montreal Convention then you will find some useful information online that may help you.

In the event that you are unable to move the trip to an alternative destination and are offered a refund from your travel agent or tour operator, we can cancel the policy and offer a refund of 50% of the premium on a Single Trip policy. For Annual Multi-Trip policies, we can offer a refund of 1/12th per each complete unused month subject to no claims on the policy. If you are still within the 14-day cooling off period, a full refund will apply subject to no claims on the policy.

You can buy your travel insurance online using our quick and easy quote facility. Alternatively, you can call us and one of our Travel Insurance Agents will be happy to help arrange a policy that meets your requirements.

Our policies are underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac, registered in Ireland No. 306045. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FRN is 203320.

We do not have any age restrictions for single trips up to 92 days or on annual multi-trip policies. For single trips lasting more than 92 days we have an age limit of 75 with an upper duration limit of 184 days. (Children under the age of 18 must be insured with an adult).

We cover you from the time you start your trip right up until the day you return back to the UK, (except for cancellation cover which starts when you buy the policy and ends when you start your trip).

Our quotes are saved for 30 days. If you get a quote online, simply revisit our website and click the 'Retrieve' quote tab on our home page. Enter your email address and quote reference number. If you get a quote over the telephone, you will be given a unique reference number which you can quote when calling us back.

We can only provide cover to permanent UK residents. If you have been living in the UK for less than 6 months, you may be able to find cover with It’s So Easy Travel Insurance. Click here to learn more.

It may be possible to extend your policy once you are away which we would need to refer to insurers but only up to the maximum trip duration of; 184 days (75 and under) or 92 days (over 75s) for single trips and 31 days for annual multi-trips, providing your insurance has not already expired. We cannot issue a new policy after you've started the trip. If you want extended cover, please call us quoting your policy number so we can look into this for you.

We accept all major debit and credit cards except American Express.

Children under 18 must have at least one named adult on the policy. The child is covered providing he or she is travelling with at least one of these adults.

Yes. We encrypt your personal data to ensure no one else can read them. We store personal data in keeping with the Data Protection Act 1988.

We provide a 14 day cooling off period from the date of receipt of your policy documents. If you contact us during this period, you are entitled to a full refund provided you have not travelled or made any claims against the policy.

Outside of the 14 day cooling off period we can offer a 50% refund provided you have not travelled or made any claims against the policy.

If you have an annual policy we will refund 1/12th of the total premium paid for each full calendar month remaining provided you have not travelled or made any claims against the policy.

If you buy your policy online, your documents will be available immediately to download, save and print. We will also send a copy to the email address you provided. If you buy your policy over the telephone, we will ask for an email address or give you the option to receive your documents in the post. If you have any problems retrieving your documents, please call us.

Winter sports are not covered as standard, but you can pay an additional premium to include cover.

Some Hazardous Activities are covered as standard on the policy and many more can be covered for an additional premium. Please refer to the policy wording for full details.

We offer four levels of insurance cover with cancellation ranging from £0 to £5,000 per insured.

No - We only cover trips from the UK returning back to the UK. You may be able to find cover with It’s So Easy Travel Insurance. Click here to learn more.

We will send you a renewal letter in the post to let you know that your annual travel insurance is about to expire. You can then get a new quote either online or over the phone.

If you need to amend your policy because you have noticed a problem or error with your documents, want to amend the name of an insured person, add a new person to the policy, purchase an additional cover option or tell us about a change in your health or medication, please contact us by telephone so we can update our records and arrange to send your amended documentation by post or email.

All adults insured on the policy are covered when travelling together or independently. Children are not covered to travel separately from the insured adult.

We offer single trip policies up to 184 days duration and annual multi-trips cover for 365 days with a maximum duration of 31 days per trip.

We aim to cover mental health conditions from mild depression right through to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Our quotes are subject to a medical screening.

Yes, you need to declare any condition that falls into our medical declaration.

Yes, any changes to your health or medication that occurs before your departure date needs to be declared to us so we can review your cover.

We can consider cover to people whilst they are receiving medical treatment including chemotherapy. We base all our quotes on individual circumstances. However, we cannot cover the actual cost of any on-going treatment that you know you will require during the trip, such as dialysis or the cost of chemotherapy treatment itself. When getting a quote answer the medical screening questions as of today.

We can't cover undiagnosed conditions because we're not certain what we are offering cover for.

Our policies cover you for the cost of replacing medication that is lost or stolen up to the limit shown in your policy wording. Simply call the 24-hour emergency service for assistance when abroad.

These vary according to which cover plan you chose (Standard, Premier, Premier Extra or Premier Plus). Please view our benefits summary or if you have already purchased a policy, see your Schedule of Cover and Limits.


For any questions not answered above, please contact us on 01223 446 920 or email operations@oktotravelinsurance.co.uk